Fall 2013 – Is your Property Ready for Winter?
Is your Property Ready for Winter?
The cold weather is here for the season. Watchdog Property Management is here to help you prepare your home or investment property to maintain it during the cold winter months.
These are a few of the things we can do to help you prepare for winter:
- Roofing: Check roof and around vents, skylights and chimneys for leaks.
- Attics: If there is no ridge vent, keep gable vents open year-round to ensure proper ventilation.
- Gutters: Clean gutters and drain pipes so leaves won’t clog them and be sure they drain away from the house.
- Exterior Plumbing: Drain outside faucets to prevent bursting in freezing temperatures
- Fireplace: Clean fireplace of ashes. Check chimney for loose or missing mortar. Have chimney professionally cleaned. Make sure damper closes tightly.
- Filters: Remember to clean or replace HVAC filters once a month, or as needed. Check and clean dryer vent, air conditioner, range hood and room fans. Keep heating and cooling vents clean and free from furniture and draperies.
- Safety Equipment: Ensure that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are in good working order. Replace batteries in appropriate devices as needed, or at least twice each year.
- Faucets: Check for leaky faucets in kitchen and bathroom(s). Replace washers as necessary.
- Windows and Doors: Seal drafty doors and windows. If you added up all of the small cracks where heating and cooling escapes from a home, it would be the same as having a window open. Replace seals as needed.
- Siding and Painting: Look for cracks and holes in house siding or peeling paint.
- Heating System: Have heating system serviced now to eliminate costly breakdown in the winter.
- Hot Water Heater: Drain hot water heater. Remove sediment from the bottom of the tank.
- Landscaping: Prune trees and remove dead branches.
Our focus is to help increase the value of your home or investment property by keeping costs low with preventive maintenance for the Winter season. Our experienced staff of professional maintenance technicians can perform all of the preventative maintenance to your home to reduce your energy bills and prolong the life of your mechanical equipment.
To make an appointment contact us at LeeAnne@WatchdogProperty.com, or 435-659-6789